Ricoh Theta SC 360 is a new spherical camera from the manufacturer of photographic equipment Ricoh, which can be considered a slight update of the previous model Theta S. New version is available in 4 colors: white, blue, beige, and pink. Ricoh Theta SC 360 has the same elegant look and availability: making spherical panoramic photos are still simple by pressing a single button.
The case is made by classical technology – 2 multidirectional fisheye 12 MP lenses with the sensor size of 1/2.3 CMOS produce panoramic images at resolutions up to 5376 × 2688. The highest quality 360-degree video is the same as in Theta S – Full HD with the resolution of 1920 × 1080 at 30 fps. The lower part of the body is equipped with a 1/4-inch hole to fix the camera on a standard tripod.
Ricoh Theta SC 360 has the same amount of internal memory of 8 GB, which is enough to store simultaneously about 1600 panoramic photos or more than 1 hour of Full HD video. The remote control of Theta SC 360 is available thanks to the Wi-Fi connection and application from App Store or Play Market on the mobile device.
Features and Specifications
- Size: 45.2 × 130.6 × 22.9 mm
- Weight: 102 grams
- Sensor: 1/2.3 CMOS (x2)
- Total viewing angle: 2 180° fisheye lenses
- Video Resolution: 1920×1080
- Recording Speed: 30 frames per second
- Video file format: MPEG-4
- Video Encoding: H.264
- Photo Resolution: 5376×2688
- Image file format: JPEG, DCF2.0 compliant,
- Aperture: F 2.0
- Maximum Focal Length: 8
- Screen: No display screen
- Connecting Mobile Device by Wi-Fi
- Power supply: built-in Li-Ion battery of 1350 mAh
- Battery life: 260 photos approximately
- Storage: 8 GB of internal memory; no memory card slot
- Remote control: available from the application on a mobile device
- Micro USB terminal: USB 2.0
Ricoh Theta SC 360 is very easy to use, and the mobile application works seamlessly with it. This is a great little inexpensive device to begin the immersion to the virtual reality world.
- Simple control and informative indication
- Corporate compact design and stylish appearance
- Opportunity to choose from 4 colors of the body
- Support of virtual reality glasses
- Small weight
- Possibility for remote control from the mobile device
- Affordable price segment
- In low light conditions, noise reduction mode is available
- The full API compatibility with Google services allows uploading panoramas in Google Street View
- No HDMI interface
- Maximum video duration is 5 minutes compared to 25 minutes on Ricoh Theta S
- Convex lenses require very careful usage and maintenance
- No way to expand memory
- Lack of the possibility to make broadcasts or stream video
Nice design, 4 color solutions, virtually full compliance with the characteristics of the previous model, and the more affordable price is a brief summary of Ricoh Theta SC 360. The lightweight camera is not suitable for professional work, but it’s a great device to start exploring the world of virtual reality. In less than a minute, you will be able to take a 360° picture and upload it on a mobile device, where the resulting image can be viewed and edited in a special application. Ricoh Theta SC 360 is a harmonious combination of quality and ease of use.